Spirit's End
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spirit's End

Forum for Spirit's End, a Call of Cthulhu LARP run in Cleveland, OH.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Amelia Earhart Tells Story Of Hop Over Ocean

Go down 
AuthorMessage
ST Ashley
Storyteller
ST Ashley

Amelia Earhart Tells Story Of Hop Over Ocean Empty
PostSubject: Amelia Earhart Tells Story Of Hop Over Ocean   Amelia Earhart Tells Story Of Hop Over Ocean Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 12:32 pm

(For background, when this happened, Amelia Earhart became the second person, and first woman, to fly solo across the Atlantic. The first was Lindbergh in 1927 --Ashley)

Woman Flier Fought Storm, Ice on Wings.

CULMORE, Northern Ireland, May 21.—Here is the dramatic story of Amelia Earhart Putnam's flight across the Atlantic ocean from Newfoundland to Ireland as she told It to P. J. Quinn, Universal Service staff correspondent. She said:

"It was a great flight and a greater thrill than I expected, but believe me, I am happy to have come down on such a beautiful green field, amid the cows and sheep!

"That sight was more precious to me than anything I have ever seen before. It still thrills me after all the rain and fog I fought getting over the ocean.

"If the storm had not shaken up my ship, causing a little damage, I certainly could have reached Paris; at least, London.

"The landiag was excellent. I couldn't have found a better place than Gallagher's meadow. And so far as the Irish country people are concerned, I could not have met warmer-hearted people.

GREATER THRILL
"This flight from Harbor Grace to Culmore was a much greater thrill for me than my other flight to Trepassy, as the responsibility was all mine after I got In the air, and I had to do everythlng myself.

"I was not hurt at all in landing and I don't think the plane would be taxed if I decided to go to London or Paris. As soon as I landed, my first thought was for my husband, and I wanted to get off that telephone call to him right away.

"You can tell the American people through Universal Service that I am happy and appreciate their Interest. I flew for fun, and it was a lot better and a lot greater experience than my previous Atlantic flight. I expect to stay with the Gallaghers tonight for a good rest, and I'll begin planning again in the morning.

OCEAN STORMY
"It is a great joy to have accomplished an Atlantic crossing alone, even though I had to come down In a field. The weather was anything but good. It was stormy In mid-Atlantic with some fog and a misty rain.

"During the last half of the flight, I was afraid the leak in the gasoline gauge might become serious, and that alone was the final cause of my landing here.

"It was a terrfylng and a thrilling experience—the most thrilling I have ever had. But I'd do it again.

"Most of the journey was through rain, mist and fog.

"For several hours last night I flew practically blind, when a thick blanket of fog hovered over the Atlantic.

"Flying that fog was a terrible experience. For hours, I not only did not know where I was going, but I couldn't guess how high I was above the waves.

400 MILES OFF COURSE.
"The storm slowed up my flight and drove me 400 miles off my course, The plane behaved splendidly all,the way, though. The oil leakage, I believe, was due to the terrific strain of the storm, which made me put up the stiffest fight I've ever had.

"The gasoline gauge began leaking during the last-few hours, and the manifold exhaust was slightly damaged. But even then, I never doubted the plane would pull me through.

"I don't think I'll ever forget this trip, Out over the ocean on my own, with fog above and below - that's the way I spent midnight. I saw nothing but fog. It was cold, and ice formed on. the wings, which is not very pleasant. I fought away visions of trouble.

"Then came storm and rain. The temperature began to rise and the ice disappeared. The plane swayed up and down In the gale, but held on wonderfully, although at considerably reduced speed.

"Morning brought an improvement in conditions, but visibility continued bad. I simply rode out the storm.

"It was the gladdest moment of my life when, about noon, I sighted the Irish coast with the fog still around It. I felt ever so happy when I saw mountain peaks ahead. I said to myself:

"There's land and back there's the ocean, but I certainly don't know where I am. However, I ought to be able to get an idea soon."

"Then, with worries about the exhaust and the gas gauge besetting me, I decided that the best possible thing I could do would be to pick out a nice soft spot, skip the clods in a field, and hope everything would be all right.

"The atmosphere lifted gradually as the morning wore on. Presently, I saw below me towns and villages, and eventually something that looked like a big city. It turned out to be Londonderry.

LOOKED FOR FIELD.
"My gasoline had begun to leak so I looked for a suitable landing place. I saw a beautiful large field and decided to come down. And I certainly picked out a good host. He and his family are friendly and genial, and generous.

"I circled around what looked like a good spot, and dropped down out of the air about 2:30 o'clock. Nearby Was a house. A kindly Irish farmer, Henry Gallagher, rushed out shouting:

"'All right! Greetings! How are you feeling?'

"Then he helped me out, of the plane. He told me I was at Culmore, near Bailymaggard, about four miles from Londonderry.

"I secured an automobile and drove to Londonderry, where I arrived at 3:15 o'clock. I went immediately to the postoffice, to send a cable telling my husband and my friends I was safe. It was a 30-mile drive, and I was impatient to get there.

"Anxious then to return to my plane, I drove back from Londonderry. I am now (5:45 p.m.) having tea with the Gallagher family at their house In Culmore.

PLANE NEAR HOUSE.
"My plane is only 500, feet from the house, where I can watch the mechanics work on it. they came back with me from Londonderry. I don't know for certain yet whether I want to fly on to London or Dublin, but I think I will have the plane dismantled and shipped home to America.

"I have often heard of the kindness of the Irish people, and I know now what it means. I have often heard an Irish brogue, but I never knew its beauty until today.

It's really impossible to talk about the flight without mentioning these wonderful people with whom I ended it. I should like to remain here many days, if that were possible, but I can't stop. After a good sleep tonight, I want to see 'what's ahead.

"One nice thing about the Gallaghers is that I can get some sleep there. The nearest telephone, where I put in my calls, is at the home of Mrs. McCaul of Brookshall."
Back to top Go down

Amelia Earhart Tells Story Of Hop Over Ocean
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Spirit's End :: In Character :: Arkham Beach Times-
Jump to: